Tuesday, January 22, 2013

MLK QUOTES


Read the quotes below, all spoken by Martin Luther King.  Then, comment on which one you like the best and why.  If you know of other quotes by MLK and want to comment with those, that is fine, too.  Just make sure you write why you like it.


MARTIN LUTHER KING QUOTES

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.


I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.

16 comments:

  1. I like the 7th one, because it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first one, because it is kind of like saying that evil cannot take evil away, but good can. Good people can have an influence on bad people and they could even change their life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great of a burden to bear. I like that quote because it is saying that it is easier to love than to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote, the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy., is the one I like the best. It shows that no matter how much greatness you have or talent when you are under pressure, the way you deal with things is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the first one because it says you can kill hate with kindness

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9th quote. Their is bad and good inside of evrybody.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the 3rd one, because I believe you should have faith even if its as small as a mustard seed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear
    shows you that he cared about everybody even though they did not like him because of his race. I also like it because if you hate nothing good comes out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the second one because it is so true every one is equal and created equal but it is what everyone else thinks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the 2nd one because there is more meaning to people than just their skin color. No matter what your skin color is or what you look like, the same people can achieve the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. I think that's true because there was a rough spot in my life where I hated the person who caused it and it was the worst time in my life. One day I was reading Harry Potter and Dumbledore said something that made me think. What this person did to make my life miserable was done out of hate. I didn't want to be like this person. "Do not pity the dead," Dumbledore said, "pity the living, and above all, those who live without love."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, you are so insightful and, because of your kindness and joy, I can testify to the fact that you have really embraced this quote and sentiment. Carry on!

      Delete
  12. 7th quote: To me, this means that in the end, you won't remember the bad things that someone has said to you or the things that someone has said to bring you down, but you will only remember whether or not your friends stood up for you in those cases, and what friends stayed with you in the good and the bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase. I like this quote because it says that if you have enough faith to step out and take a chance you might actually go places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I like this because it has made a huge impact in the world, and we now celebrate a day dedicated to MLK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love his quote about faith because I think it is very true. I believe that faith is having trust that something good will come out of a situation, even if you cannot see the end, yet.

    ReplyDelete